Sunday, October 12, 2008

American Goodness on French Toast / Amerykańskie przysmaki na francuskim toście


One of my breakfasts in London deserved a separate entry. On Monday morning it was time to try The Breakfast Club at Angel. The place opened at 9 am and so we were quite hungry by that time. Their filter coffee wasn't good but the menu was promising. I went for Banana and Bacon French Toast. Which for me was very American. Served with maple sirup. Yummy. Not very healthy perhaps but oh so good.


Just see for yourself:


Bacon is actually one of the food things I remember best from the trip to New England. The smell of bacon in the enchanted house out in Cambridge the first morning after arrival, and then bacon served with maple sirup at the even more enchanted apartment of my friend in Vermont. And then the thought that you really have to try hard to find bad food in America.

What do you associate with American food? Do you like it? Why? Or why not?

4 comments:

Lord Bassington-Bassington said...

American food is great, but unfortunately the food sometimes makes you realize why the country is in the grip of an obesity epidemic (even if the food isn't entirely to blame for this).

I think my favorite American foodstuffs are hamburgers, which can be both very tasty and healthy.

Lady Mju said...

I would think that the amount of food served also has something to do with obesity epidemic.

Unknown said...

I think I hadn't realised how much I liked American food (or, really, what American food was) until I wasn in Norway and wanting to learn how to cook Southern "comfort" foods--sweet potato pies, corn bread, gumbo etc. It was fun to share some traditional American foods beyond what most people associated with it.

Pumpkins are also really American and were used extensively by the native peoples. Corn too!

mmmmmmm, BACON.

Lady Mju said...

Agree that pumpkin is very American. I wish I knew what to with them. I'm not too fond of corn, though - apart from when used to make bourbon ;-) (mmm... Knob's Creek). My aversion for corn - and particlarly corn flour - might stem from bad Mexican food in Poland.
Pies are really something I'd like to learn to make.