Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Aromatic hummus / Hummus aromatyczny

This is a slightly more spiced and less oily variant of this popular spread.

You will need:
350-400g of chickpeas (soaked in water overnight, then cooked with one Bay Laurel leaf - I strongly advise to use a pressure cooker which might be one of the better investments in your kitchen. I use one manufactured by AMC but there is a variety of pressure cookers on the maarket.

juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon of tahini paste
1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
a dash of chilli powder
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander seeds
some nice olive oil
some water from cooking chickpeas (otherwise you will need more oil)

Blend everything with a hand mixed and voilà you have a dinner!



I serve it with some bread and lots of vegetables and some lemon juice on the side. Also, it tastes remarkably well with a sliced banana.

2 comments:

Lord Bassington-Bassington said...

The lemon juice is a brilliant addition to the hummus, and you're the one who introduced me to that idea.

Lady Mju said...

I even remember who introduced me to that idea. One late evening at Forskningsparken we ate hummus with lemon juice and wineleaves filled with rice. It was also the first time I tasted hummus.