Saturday, January 3, 2009

Yellow turnip mash / Kålrotstappe / Brukiew purree

Yellow turnip, rutabaga, Swede: a simple vegetable with almost too many names. Actually a cross between cabbage and turnip. It's good, it's cheap and in plenty at this time of year. In Norway it is closely associated with festive occasions around Yule. In Poland it is considered to be poor man's food. But I wanted to try and prepare it for a simple - lazy - dinner.

You will need:
1 kg of yellow turnip (choose small roots)
2 carrots
salt and crushed black pepper
1 spoon of butter
some cream

I cooked the turnip with carrots in my pressure cooker - it took eight minutes. Otherwise cook in salted water until done. Mash all the ingredientes with an old-fashioned potato masher or a large fork.



Goes well with distinctive flavours.

Smacznego!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I suggest adding some salty meats and/or sausages and a few dumplings known as komle/raspeball? And then inviting me over since the result is my favorite dish? :)

Lady Mju said...

Suggest you may :)
Though raspeball is among my least favorite things. I guess I dislike the making process. Should perhaps try it once.
We could perhaps settle for mash and meat and no komle?

Anonymous said...

It is not difficult to make, I may end up thanking you for giving me the idea of cooking some for dinner this week. An alternative is to buy some prefabricated from Toro which ironically takes about the same time although less messy.

UrbanWytch said...

*vinker*
Great blog! I'm stunt-cooking myself from time to time, and shall lurk around picking up ideas methinks! (Kat, in San Fr., speaking btw..)
Even though Rachel Ray's "spunky disposition" usually makes me want to bash her face in with a rolling pin, spekeskinke or similar, this potato recipe kicks rear ends:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/yukon-gold-potatoes-jacques-pepin-style-recipe/index.html
Don't worry about the carrot/fennel recipe she teamed it with, it looks better than it turns out :/

Tony said...

I'm sorry there is no excuse for turnips...shudder